Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Baby, It's Cold Outside!


This post was originally created in 2013,
but considering the frigid temps that are gripping
many of us this first week of January, 
I'm taking the liberty to share it again.
I hope it will warm your spirits!
A special request of my readers,
I'm in search of more tartan dinner plates I used on this table.
They are Target's 2010 Classic Tidings.  
Please let me know if you have any you want to part with.

It's not snowing, but we are having a cold, grey January here.  
I wanted to set a cozy table to warm my spirits.
A friend traveled to Scotland this past summer, and knowing how I love all things tartan, she returned home with this wonderful wool tartan throw just for me.  For some reason it looks pink in this close up, but you can see on the table, it is actually a true red.  Just as a tartan should be! It's warm and cozy and a perfect table topper for a winter day.
The snowmen here at HFTS 
cozied up just for the occasion.

Several of my snowmen are the work 
of US artist Natalie Silitch from Annapolis.
This cute guy was a gift enclosed 
with my latest order from Timeless Charm Gifts.
Wouldn't these be cute used as place card holders?
Tartan and paisley have always been at the top of my list.
I especially like tartan dishes and 
love to mix the various tartans together.  
Just take a look at last year's 
Tartan Parade to see what I mean.
Occasionally I like to throw in some paisley too.
Snowy Smiles plates by Williraye Studio
are another little "pick me up" for winter days.
Who wouldn't begin to feel better 
just looking at their cute faces?
And did you notice, 
their black and white checked borders?
They were the stars of another winter tablescape here.
Vintage Mother of Pearl flatware 
reminds me of snowy days.
A touch of polka dots and green stems made from 
French wine bottles seem to fit right in.
Layers of Tartan, Paisley, 
and Black and White Checks
Oak Leaves and Acorns
I'm beginning to feel happier already!
What about you?

Don't pack away the snowmen 
with the Christmas decorations.  
Snowmen like to stay out to play all winter.  

I had already created my winter tablescape in this post before ironically being treated to a birthday lunch that featured this incredible winter wonderland centerpiece.  Much to my delight, this darling winter scene went home with me as a birthday gift.  I'm eager to feature this winter scene in a tablescape of my own sometime soon.





Sarah
Sarah

The summer we married, my husband was in graduate school, and I was employed as a teacher. We took a portion of our savings that summer and purchased a sailboat. We christened our Catalina 22, “Hyacinths For The Soul” after Saadi’s poem. Our "Hyacinths" provided years of pleasure.

25 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!!! I too love plaid. Love your snowmen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love your cheery snowmen paired with plaid and Courtly Check! I didn't pick up any of Target's Classic Tidings plates unfortunately. If I see any on eBay or online I'll let you know. Stay warm & cozy, it's 18 degrees here this am...brrrr ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, your tartans and paisleys are fantastic together! I love those wine bottle stems too. That particular tartan from Target looks very similar to Pier 1's color scheme and pattern. Have you compared?
    All my snowmen and Christmas items are packed away, save for a few metal deer I picked up at an estate sale a couple weeks before Christmas. I already have an eye toward spring, with sheep and bunnies starting to graze around my sunroom, while I stay warm with cozy throws, pillows and good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you mix your textures and patterns! Your snowman collection is precious - we have a real one that Carter made last week...and with this cold weather, i think it will be there for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I love tartans and paisleys! Your table looks so warm and cozy. I packed away my snowmen, should have kept them out! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My snowfolk are going up this week too -- love them. Snowman dishes, too. Wish I had tartan in my collection and I'd be glad to share them with you! Alas, I don't. But the table looks magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post to bring back from the archives. It is freezing here too Sarah. I've been putting away Christmas and pulling my snowman and winter pieces to enjoy. Love your tartan pieces. I missed that pattern when it came out but will keep an eye out for pieces. Pulling my tartan as I put the Christmas plates away. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought of you shopping..I found a small white sparkly house that lights up..faintly but lights up..liquidation Michaels:) It's my Sarah Abode..remember your table w/ the light up house..I think it was Easter? Anyway minehas snow and fir trees so ..so not Easter..snowmen will be frolicking here for a while w/ our cold..stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tis the season for snowmen Sarah! Your plates are too adorable! We are freezing too but at least we don't have piles of the white stuff! Stay cozy!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Years Sarah. Such sweet snowmen you have shared with us! Freezing here in Kentucky too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect to repost this darling post. It's freezing here but no snow. Very unusual to be in the 20's for four days already.
    Hope you find some more plates.
    Sarah, I left a comment on your last post but it said your mailbox was full and it was returned. Just wanted you to know I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't decorate much for winter this year because I knew what our schedule would be like, but I think I'm going to put away Christmas decor tomorrow and take out snowmen. Maybe it will be like a snow dance: If it's going to stay this cold, then I want it to snow!

    I love your snowmen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn’t it amazing how a bit of cold weather in Texas turns our thoughts to warm and cozy? I just hope our 3 nights of below freezing temps spared the plants in the yard as I don’t want to have to replace them as I did the last time it was so chilly. We never think the temperature is really going to drop that low in town and we get fooled.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah,
    What a beautiful tablescape this was!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! I am so far behind in my return visits!! Happy New Year to you!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah, I always love your beautiful tartans! Cold here with no snow. We really could use a little. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we are in a heat wave here in Utah! The kids said it was in the 50's. We have some Swedes staying at our cabin - they make snow every night for the ski resort, but it has to be freezing to keep it. Poor ski resorts.
    It is so hard when we want more of beautiful plates or people who see them want some too. Hope you can find more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dearest Sarah,
    Love your snowmen collection and also that Mary Stuart Tartan plaid!
    Hope you managed to stay cozy through this rather cold period.
    So longing for warmer days...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tartan table setting is great. Something I hadn't thought about. I always tell people to keep the Snowmen out---they are all winter creatures. Happy January
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy MM, dear Sarah, love your winter people and the lovely vignettes you create around your beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sarah I love the whimsy and your charming winter vignettes! Thank you for sharing at Vintage Charm! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year, Sarah! Your winter scenes are the perfect antidote to the grey drizzly weather we're having. I'd much rather have snow than all this dreary rain. But not the intense cold. I'm not fussy at all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy new Year,Sarah!
    I am smiling to your pretty snowmen.Your beautiful tartans looks so warm.
    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was a post worth repeating! Such a perfect combination of colors, patterns and textures! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. so cute and delightful snowman:)

    thank you for sharing the lovely stuff my friend!

    this year temps are extreme whether low are high
    enjoy you cozy room and hot drinks and stay away from cold to avoid flu

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sarah, I love it all. The tartan plaid is so pretty and really brightens and warms up this time of year. My snowmen don't come out at Christmas. They are resting so that they can show up in January! This weather continues to be so unpredictable around the country. I would like a little snow though, in place of rain. What a nice birthday gift you received..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to each of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each and every one and will respond to any questions. Your notes are the only way I know who has stopped in for a visit.